Wednesday 5 June 2013

My Inspiration by June Francis

June Francis has written over 20 sagas set on Merseyside, as well as historical romances for Harlequin Mills & Boon. So after 30 years, and 34 novels, what inspires her to keep writing?
I’m over halfway through of what I hope is the final read through of my latest manuscript. I’d hoped to whizz through it, but the fact that I need to get rid of about five thousand words means that I have to do a line by line edit, so it’s taking me much longer than I reckoned on.
I should have learnt my lesson by now because this is my 34th novel and, after 30 years of being a writer, I should know better. I found myself asking what is it that still inspires me to keep on writing when it’s such hard work. I’m not saying that being a novelist doesn’t have its good points because they are manifold. Lunching with likeminded writer friends, getting away from the word processor to do research, or a talk with groups that actually are glad to listen to me speak about myself and the profession I love best. 
There was a time when I believed all I had to do to have my story published was get it down on paper and send it off. A publisher would send me a contract and then lots of nice money. I was inspired by the thought of money and seeing my book on the shelves of W.H.Smith’s. But when that first manuscript came winging back I soon discovered my mistake in sending off a first draft.

Writing, I discovered, was an art which involved not only a lot of imagination and rethinking but also cutting and polishing. I was inspired by the thought of writing the most interesting, amusing, exciting, escapist and thought provoking book I could - which, if I was very, very lucky, would make it to the top of the best sellers’ list.

It’s never happened and at my ripe age I think it never will, but still I keep on writing for those readers who write to me and say how much they enjoy my books. Then there’s the New Zealander who wrote and said a certain book of mine had changed her life. How inspiring is that!


Memories Are Made of This
An enthralling historical saga set in 1950s' Liverpool.
(Sequel to It Had To Be You)

Liverpool, 1954. Young Jeanette Walker often wonders what became of her mother who disappeared without trace during a wartime bombing raid thirteen years before. Was she killed outright, or did she run off with another man, as tyrannical Great Aunt Ethel insists? Embarking on a dual mission to find out what really happened to her mother and to track down the handsome stranger who came to her rescue, Jean is little prepared for the hornets' nest of family secrets and lies that her investigations will stir up.

Hardback ISBN: 978-0-7278-8250-9 (UK edition)
Hardback ISBN: 0-7278-8250-3
Publisher: Severn House Publishers Ltd

June's website: www.junefrancis.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. I just added Ms Francis to my People I'd Like to Have a Drink With list. Enjoyed this post, wanted it to go on...

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you, so don't be shy . . .